Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Find my custom templates

Find my custom templates

When you build a new template from scratch, by default, Word saves it to the My Templates folder under your My Documents folder.

If you went to a lot of trouble creating custom templates in an earlier version of Word, you probably don't want to have to do it all over again. The good news is that those custom templates are still there, but Office 2013 doesn't show them by default. Instead when you open an Office 2013 program, you'll see the Office.com templates. If you want to see your custom templates on the Personal tab when you start an Office program, here's how.

Fix it for me

Easy fix download button indicating an automated fix is available

Use an easy fix tool to migrate your custom templates for you.

The easy fix tool fixes all Office 2013 programs at the same time. You don't need to specify the template location in each Office 2013 program.

However, the easy fix tool doesn't help you to set a new location, it only migrates to the Custom Office Templates folder under My Documents. To set a new location, please read the next section.

I'll fix it myself

  1. Click Start > Run, and then type %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates\ in the Open box.

  2. Copy the address in the File Explorer address bar.

  3. Click File > Options > Save, and then paste the address into the Default personal templates location box.

Make sure you do this for each Office program. After you've updated your template location, any new templates will be saved to this default location.

No comments:

Post a Comment